This delicious one-pot meal is perfect anytime. Simplify it by subbing the arborio rice and laborious risotto process and making your own white rice in chicken broth. You’ll want to have at least 3 cups of cooked rice.
- 3 sweet or hot Italian sausage links
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fennel (also called anise)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1.5 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, cook sausage links. Remove from pan and cut into 1″ pieces. Set aside.
- In the same frying pan, add half of the olive oil (1.5 tsp) and saute fennel and onion. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes and thyme. Cook another 2 minutes stiring often. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, add the remaining olive oil (1.5 tsp) and arborio rice. Stir rice to coat in oil and heat, 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with white wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Allow the wine to reduce until it’s almost completely absorbed by the rice.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the broth is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining 2 cups of chicken broth until the rice is tender.
- Reduce heat. Add sausage, onion/fennel mixture and mix well.
- Remove from heat. Add parsely, lemon zest and parmesan cheese. Mix well and enjoy!
Per serving: 242 calories; 44 carbs; 11 grams of fat; 13 grams protein
I love pasta, especially in this amazing and simple dinner! Use any kind of g-free pasta (corn, rice, quinoa, flax), and remember to read labels on your sausage. I recommend Al Fresco chicken sausage!
4 Italian sausage links (sweet or hot)
1 pint grape tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 package frozen broccoli
1 box ziti, penne or other pasta
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Slice grape tomatoes in half length-wise.
- In a bowl, combine sliced tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well and pour mixture onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender.
- In a frying pan, cook sausage links until well done in center. Remove from pan and cut into 1″ pieces. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Just before the pasta is done, add frozen broccoli to the boiling pasta water. Heat through, and strain pasta/broccoli mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, broccoli, sausage, tomatoes (along with their juices and oil), parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Serve and enjoy!
Makes 6 servings. Per serving: 342 calories, 47 carbs, 10 g fat, 19 g protein, 437 mg sodium