There’s something you need to know about my mom: Girl can cook. She has very kindly agreed to share quite possibly the most delicious black bean salad known to man. She recommends Vlasic jarred roasted red peppers. Find hearts of palm in the canned vegetable section by the artichoke hearts, and use leftovers to jazz up a salad!
2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons minced white onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
A couple shakes of Tabasco (to taste! I think a little more is better)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup roasted red bell pepper, cut into about 1/2 -inch dice
1 cup diced hearts of palm
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
1 large ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beans, minced onion and cilantro.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, oil and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to bean mixture.
- Add the red bell pepper, hearts of palm and grape tomatoes. Add the Tabasco to taste. Mix well, cover and chill 1 hour.
- Just before serving, gently stir in the avocado. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with corn chips or g-free crackers.