This delicious one-pot meal is perfect anytime. Simplify it by subbing the arborio rice and laborious risotto process and making your own white rice in chicken broth. You’ll want to have at least 3 cups of cooked rice.
- 3 sweet or hot Italian sausage links
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fennel (also called anise)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1.5 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, cook sausage links. Remove from pan and cut into 1″ pieces. Set aside.
- In the same frying pan, add half of the olive oil (1.5 tsp) and saute fennel and onion. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes and thyme. Cook another 2 minutes stiring often. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, add the remaining olive oil (1.5 tsp) and arborio rice. Stir rice to coat in oil and heat, 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with white wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Allow the wine to reduce until it’s almost completely absorbed by the rice.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the broth is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining 2 cups of chicken broth until the rice is tender.
- Reduce heat. Add sausage, onion/fennel mixture and mix well.
- Remove from heat. Add parsely, lemon zest and parmesan cheese. Mix well and enjoy!
Per serving: 242 calories; 44 carbs; 11 grams of fat; 13 grams protein